St George’s Church, Isle of Portland

St George’s Church on the Isle of Portland was built between 1754 and 1766 to replace St. Andrew’s which had fallen into disuse and was no longer suitable as a place of worship. During the 1960s a restoration of the church took place under the stewardship of a group formed to protect the church. It then came under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, which continues to the present. No longer retained for regular worship, services are nevertheless held twice annually, on St George’s Day and Christmas Day. Many of the gravestones are bombed during the second world war and volunteers collected up the broken segments and put them in a display in the centre.

Komentarze

Ładuję komentarze…